Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Family Meal Table

The Family Dinner Table is Important.

 47896_152956434722536_4309871_n
We have always wanted to create and have a close knit family. One of the many ways to help create that in our fast pace lives is to treasure the family dinner table.
It is a time not only for the family eat, but for a family to commune together. Occasionally and not as much as I would like to us too, we make an event of it.  It is great to see how much the children love it.

Dressing Up the Table

We dress up the table, light candles, sing, pray and have conversations.  We have done many things over the years. I have made my own conversation box, and pray box.
In the conversation box are cards all of which contain a question to help start off a conversation, and in the pray box are cards with the names and sometimes photos of people that we would like to pray for regularly.  The children will take in turns on different nights drawing out from each of the boxes.

Get Everyone Talking and Connecting

Other nights we play the game, tell us something you love about the person sitting next to you, or across from you. We do this one on days when the children have been particularly argumentative with each other, and need to be reminded that they do actually really love each other, and are loved by the other member of there families.

It is amazing how much the children enjoy this time as a family.

46672_152676251417221_4711677_n


What things do you and your family do at the dinner table? Leave me a comment. 



6 comments:

  1. what lovely ideas :) It is funny because we have a red placemat, a green and a khaki colour one. We always say whoever gets the green is the conversation starter and the red is the stopper LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, what a great fun idea. So it is a race in your house to get the green one, or do you take turns?

      Delete
  2. I really, really struggle with dinner time with two littles. You can laugh if you like! ;-) But by the end of the day I'm so done already. I'm trying really to make dinnertime more special but between trying to convince my kids that I'm not trying to poison them, and getting my toddler to sit, wow, dinner makes me feel like I've run a marathon! So I enjoy reading other people's dinner time traditions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I remember those days very well, and it was very hard to do when our little ones where little as well. One of the things that they loved to do when they were little was, to throw a picnic blanket down on the lounge room floor and have dinner of paper plates, and pretend we were having a picnic. Then at the end I would take the blanket out side a shake it off, and through it into the machine.

      Delete
  3. Yes! We love dressing up our table too. Once I have a friend over for cuppa and she noticed how my table was dressed up; she immediately asked if I have expecting a guest this evening, but I just simply replied that's how we rolled here. (Guests? Yes! the six of us)

    ReplyDelete